Member rate: $145 | Non-member rate: $195
Are you correctly identifying all of your Form 1099-MISC reporting obligations?
Are you backup withholding 28% federal tax where required?
Do you have procedures that build 1099 compliance and avoid risk for your organization?
Whether you’re new to 1099 reporting, or looking for an update on the top 1099-MISC compliance concerns of 2017, you’ll find all of the essentials in this educational program prepared and presented by the leading independent advisory firm Cokala Tax Group.
Foundations of Form 1099-MISC Compliance will cover:
- What is reportable on the 1099-MISC under regulations and other IRS guidance applicable in 2017. Learn what’s covered by the “merchandise” exception; how to handle payments that include both goods and services; how to tell whether a payment is “rent” for box 1, “royalties” for box 2, or a nonreportable purchase; the full range of payments that belong in box 6 as medical or health care payments; whether to include reimbursed expenses in box 7; correct use of box 14 for attorney payments; what to report in box 3 as “other income” and when a prize or award isn’t really a prize or award at all, but must be reported as compensation in Box 7 or on Form W-2.
- Procedures and system features to correctly apply both necessary tests for reportability – first as to the type of payee, and second as to the type of payment.
- How to document exempt recipients that are not 1099 reportable. Learn about the current Form W-9 and when it is required; how to review the current Form W-9 and be alert for reasons to doubt what it shows; when a new W-9 is required; what is an exempt entity; and whether the old “eyeball test” of exempt status can still be used in 2017.
- How to avoid backup withholding tax errors and omissions. Learn when you must withhold 28% federal income tax from Form 1099-MISC reportable payments; when and how to deposit backup withholding and report it to the IRS; what the current IRS audit initiative looks for in backup withholding and 1099-MISC compliance.
Learning objectives for this program:
- Identify Form 1099-MISC reportable payments
- Identify and apply 28% backup withholding of federal tax
- Perform a sufficiency review of Form W-9 for 1099-MISC purposes
Marianne Couch, JD – Principal, Cokala Tax Information Reporting Solutions, LLC
Marianne Couch, JD, a Principal in the Cokala tax group since its founding early in 2007, is an experienced and well-known advisor on U.S. federal and state tax information reporting compliance. She is a frequent lecturer at major tax conferences and the author of The Master Guide to Form 1099 Compliance and numerous published articles. She is a founding partner of Cokala. Previously, she was for many years the Research Director of the tax reporting specialty firm Balance Consulting, and chaired special training and advisory services provided to large organizations and academic and nonprofit institutions. She also formerly served as the executive director of the National Association of Form 1099 Filers, Inc.
Marianne was an appointee for three years to the IRS Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee (IRPAC), where she was Chair of the IRPAC Subcommittee on Small Business and Self-Employed (SBSE) tax issues.
Marianne formerly served as a Research Attorney for the Michigan Court of Appeals, and earlier as a litigator for a large Michigan law firm, where she represented individuals and large clients in many types of civil actions. She received her JD, cum laude, from the Michigan State University School of Law, and is a member of the State Bar of Michigan.
Continuing education credits available!
Receive 2 CEUs toward AP & P2P/IOFM APM, APS, or APD recertification! The Accounts Payable Certification Program is designed to establish standards for the profession and recognize accounts payable professionals who, by possessing related work experience and passing a comprehensive exam, have met stringent requirements for mastering the accounts payable body of knowledge.
To cancel your registration for this event, simply contact IOFM customer service at email@example.com (or call 570-567-0425) no later than 24 hours prior to the scheduled start of the event. You can choose to access the full recorded event, or, your credit may be applied toward the purchase of any IOFM product or interactive event. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with this program, we will provide a full refund — no questions asked!
For more information:
Contact: Liz Fallon
Phone: (570) 567-0425